Adam Wathan – Advanced Vue Component Design
Learn how to design simpler, more flexible components that are both more powerful and easier to maintain.
I’ve been shipping Vue.js to production since the spring of 2015 and have learned a ton about writing maintainable, resilient Vue code that lasts.
When I first started using Vue, I fell in love because of how easy it made it to do what quickly turned into a mess with jQuery, like dynamically adding fields to a form or showing a loading state while firing off an AJAX request.
Three years later I’ve realized that Vue solves a lot of hard problems that I never expected it to solve, like:
- Keeping logic portable and encapsulated, even when it interacts with disconnected parts of the DOM
- Completely customizing how a component looks without a bunch of CSS overrides or complex configuration options
- Making it easy to simulate desperately needed browser features like element queries, without waiting another 5 years for support
Advanced Vue Component Design takes everything I know about using Vue to build more than basic UI widgets and bundles it up into one comprehensive course that you can work through in an afternoon.
The full course clocks in at 34 lessons totaling 4 hours of content.
It covers topics like:
- Building custom controlled components
- Strategies for keeping logic encapsulated and making components more portable
- Using composition to extend components instead of mixins or inheritance
- How and why to use render functions, even if you aren’t using JSX
- Using data provider components to reuse non-UI logic
- Creating renderless components that are completely customizable
- Designing compound components using Vue’s provide and inject features
- Real-world case studies on building robust sortable list and search select components
Every lesson is as short as possible but no shorter, so you’ll learn everything you need to know in just the right amount of time at just the right pace.
The whole course is neatly organized by topic too, so it’s super easy to go back and find the exact lesson you’re looking for when you’re trying to apply these ideas on the job.
Sales Page: https://adamwathan.me/advanced-vue-component-design/